All classes are held in Europe, but we travel a lot around the world. Contact us if you want to have this happen in your town. Our class is usually announced on Facebook page first, sometimes on Instagram, and if we are not too late - on our Newsletter.
1. 麴学 - Kojiology - Art of Koji 3 days course Miso, Shoyu, Sake, Mirin, vinegar - everything you need for Washoku (Japanese cuisine) is made of culture media and mould aka Aspergillus Oryzae. The class will take you through the history of this ancient biotechnology and how closely it has been in our daily life for hundreds of years. Today, we are able to make all of the staple food in Japan, using this Aspergillus Oryzae, or A. Sojae, A. Luchuensis and more. In this workshop, you will learn Koji making from A to Z, and actually experience the steps of 0-, 24-, 48 hours mark of its step. In the second part will be about crucial Japanese fermented food: Miso, Shoyu, Tsukemono, Amazake, Shio-Koji and more. The master class is for those who want to know everything about Aspergillus oryzae and are interested in microbiome. Koji making lecture dive more into detailed steps and technical scheme of temperature control. This class is intensive but have a nice and relaxing atmosphere.
For impression, see the previous session: https://bit.ly/2Cvof3d All classes can take place at request from the minimum of 6 participants, either at Malica ferments or at a requested venue.
2. 醤油麴学 - Shoyu Kojiology - Art of Koji 3 days course Confident in Koji making? This class is completely different from the Kojiology class above and is totally dedicated for those who are ready to take more advanced Shoyu Koji making, understand the complex relationship between temperature controls, different phases of mycelium growth and enzyme production. The course is divided into three parts: Shoyu Koji making from scratch to the end, Shoyu making and everything about different Shoyu produced in Japan. In the lecture part, we go through the conflict in old and new way of Shoyu Koji and Shoyu making in both industrial and home scale, practical essence of preparation and its process, and uncover the secret of different microorganisms working inside of your Moromi. The moisture, pH, temperature, human and environmental interference, everything comes together to achieve the quality Shoyu making. It is an intense course but the result is rewarding.
3. Seasonal Wild Fermentation 1 Day Class 季節の発酵ワンデイクラス In this class, you will learn the basis of wild fermentation. We do different things every seasons. With using local seasonal ingredients, usually combined with a twist of Japanese condiments, we can make wonderful dishes with rich Umami flavour. We talk about various fermented food, Japanese fermentation culture (Miso, Shoyu, Sake, Mirin, Vinegar etc...) and more. We briefly talk about Koji as well. Why ferment? Can you ferment your life? Can you ferment money even? The answer is in this class. This class is suitable for those who want to adopt wild fermentation or preservation methods into daily life. You will also learn about Washoku culture and have some sample tasting.
4. Miso making and/or cooking class 味噌仕込みとお味噌汁の会 The Miso class is held all around year, but especially active in Winter. It usually starts with sit-down lecture that you learn&taste different types of Miso eaten in Japan, how it is made and about the crucial ingredients Koji, followed by hands on making of Miso and lovely meal on a round table. We will cook together using Miso that was made in previous years' workshops. You will gain the essential skill of making Miso and learn further fermentation process. At the end you will go home with all the info and inspiration, and of course your jar of Miso! It's possible to pre-order extra Koji so you can make another batch of Miso at home too. We also have a simple Miso making workshop as well. You will still learn a lot about Miso but no meal is included.
5. Shoyu making+tasting/醤油仕込みとテイスティングの集い Make your own organic Shoyu with fresh Shoyu Koji from Malicafe. This workshop includes the making of Shoyu, tasting, and a lecture. Together we learn a whole process of how Shoyu and Shoyu Koji is made, and sample taste some different Shoyu from local breweries in Japan/made at Malica ferments. You will be guided through the characteristic features of each brewery and get to know the different types of Shoyu category. I hope to share my experience and let you see the current situation of the industry in Japan. You will go home with Shoyu to look after for about a year. We will prepare Moromi in 1.8 liter jar so in case you are flying without a check in luggage, we can prepare dry and refrigerated Koji and give it to you with salt, so you can make Moromi at home. (as soon as possible, hopefully). If you need this, please do let us know at the time of booking. 自家製のオーガニックお醤油を一緒に仕込みましょう。 仕込んだお醤油はお持ち帰り頂き1年ほど育てて頂きます。 醤油用の麹はMalica fermentsが用意します。製麹のスケジュールのため、2週間前にはエントリーを締め切ります。
5. Bodaimoto Doburoku raw Sake & Sake lees cooking class / 菩提酛仕込みの濁酒(どぶろく)と酒粕料理の会 Doburoku is Koji and rice derived farmer's Sake. It's cloudy, deep, strong - and occasionally fizzy too. In this workshop, we will learn the process and you will take home a jar of Moromi to look after. We will make this Bodaimoto method, of which history dates back 600 years ago in Japan. In the class, we will also have sample tasting of Doburoku that Malica ferments made, and learn how to cook with Sake kasu (the lees from straining)! If you are flying, it is possible to bring the wet and dry ingredients separate. Please consult with us in advance.
6. Wild Fermentation Class / 醸す台所・天然発酵のススメ このクラスでは、台所に転がり冷蔵庫に忘れ去られる食材を簡単に長持ちさせ、美味しく栄養価の高いものに変身させる術を生活の知恵として学んでいきます。 今どんな星付きレストランで応用されている魔法のような技も、基本は暮らしの中の発酵に由来します。