18 or 19 November
Make your own Miso&weekend cooking workshop
October and November (Stay tuned on facebook for the dates)
Homebrew - Advanced Koji making & Fermentation class (マニア級の糀づくりと発酵食の会)
Homebrew - Basic Koji making & Fermentation class (糀の作り方基礎編と発酵食の会)
Facebook event pages:
Let's make your own Miso together.
This time we are going on an expedition to Camera Japan Festival in Rotterdam.
You will have a crush course on Miso culture in Japan and actually make your own Miso with everything we prepare, including fresh Nama-Koji best fit and made specially for this!
Time: 14:00 - 15:30
Location: Lantaren Venster
What to bring: A potato masher and 1000 ml container with a wide top (see photo in discussion. Cleaned and dried. This is to bring your miso home)
Joining this page does not complete your booking.
Book straight at the below page to reserve your spot.
Since the previous session was massive fun, we do it one more time. The intensive Koji and raw Nigori Sake making workshop aka eat&drink party :D
The forever Koji researcher Marika tells you everything about Japanese mould, Aspergillus oryzae and other strains that concern Washoku.
The class is advanced but is suitable for you if you:
- want to get familier with microorganism
- want to know how to make Sake
- want to learn about Koji and Japanese fermented food produced from it
- want to master how to make Koji from scratch till the end
- are interested in making Miso, Mirin, Shoyu, vigenar, etc
- want to introduce fermentation into your everyday life
In the practical part you will master:
- Prep of rice
- Mixing in Koji-kin
- Transformation from rice into Koji at 24 hours mark
- Cultivating Koji-kin by giving some hands
- "De-Koji" at aroud 48 hours mark. Finishing Koji making and how to store it
- How to make non-filtered raw unprocessed Sake aka Doburoku
Koji making normally takes +-48 hours but I squeeze all the process into this workshop so you will learn the whole process of 3 days in one day. I'll guide you through every step so you can do it at home if you wanted to. You wouldn't need a professional facility for this.
In the theoretical part, you will learn:
- Culture and history of Koji
- How enzymes in Koji contribute to the fermentation
- Technique to aim professional Koji making at home
- Japanese Washoku food culture about Miso, Shoyu, Mirin, Sake, vinegar as well as Amazake and Shio-koji etc.
- How Koji contributes to human health
- Detailed temperature control of Koji on timeline
In the second part of the class, you will actually prepare your own Doburoku and bring it home to look after the further fermentation process.
Much like Nigori Sake, Doburoku is a farmer-derived rustic and unrefined home brew style of Sake. Every brew has a different style and the final result very much reflects your guts flora !? :D
At the end of lecture (or during), you can enjoy some Koji-derived dishes while getting happy with Doburoku I made.
Dat: 11 September (Mon)
Location: Malicafe in IJburg
Thing to bring: 2 L glass jar with a lid
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for registration.
You will receive an invoice and further info.
Upon confirmation of your payment, your spot is reserved.
FB event page:
Japanese fermented food expert