Pre-booking has secretly started on this exclusive workshop making Koji and Doburoku (raw cloudy Sake) making class.
Details only shared with on-going students. Send an email if you are a new comer.
The workshop is suitable for these level of people:
- microbe enthusiasts
- for those who want to learn about Koji and Japanese fermented food produced from it
- for those who want to master how to make Koji from scratch till the end
- for those who are interested in making Miso, Mirin, Shoyu, vigenar, etc
- for those who want to introduce fermentation into your everyday life
In the practical part you will master:
- Prep of rice
- Mixing in Koji-kin
- Transformation from rice into Koji at 24 hours mark
- Cultivating Koji-kin by giving some hands
- "De-Koji" at aroud 48 hours mark. Finishing Koji making and how to store it
As you might know Koji making takes 48 hours. So this is a condensed workshop that you learn the whole process of 3 days in one day. I'll guide you through every step so you can do it at home if you wanted to.
You wouldn't need a professional facility for this.
In the theoretical part, you will learn:
- Culture and history of Koji
- How enzymes in Koji contribute to the fermentation
- Technique to aim professional Koji making at home
- Japanese Washoku food culture about Miso, Shoyu, Mirin, Sake, vinegar as well as Amazake and Shio-koji etc.
- How Koji contributes to human health
- How Japanese natural Sake brewery make their own Sake
At the end of lecture (or during), you can sample taste many kinds of Koji-derived dishes.
In the next half of workshop you will learn how to make raw cloudy Sake. The details to follow.
Japanese fermented food expert